We talk a lot about physical Health & Safety in the business sector, however, there is a gap in how we support mental wellbeing. Professional Supervision provides the opportunity to sit in a safe and trusted space, one-to-one, every month to discuss things that are causing unease. This could range from conflict with another member of the team (or client) through to feeling overwhelmed with your current workload, or simply discussing how best to implement a new idea. Because my service is independent and confidential (see my code of ethics on The Details page), people feel able to discuss work-related issues without fear around confidentiality and how that might affect your working relationships or future prospects.
Supervision encompasses three key areas within the workplace.
- The Administrative function – This looks at your accountability around company policies, protocols, ethics and standards within your work environment.
- Workload management / Time management
- Performance delivery / Skills development
- Effective communication
- Conflict resolution
- The Educative function – Your ongoing professional skill development
- Identifying skills, personal drivers, and goals
- Barriers to professional growth
- The Supportive function – Tends to the more personal relationship, ensuring that you are supported in areas such as;
- Emotional intelligence (self-awareness, self-management, and relationships with others)
- Feelings of stress, burn-out, low-mood or anger
- Assertiveness / self-confidence
The reality is 1 in 5 New Zealanders will experience a mental illness this year and often work-related stresses can be eliminated through regular Supervision… Think of me as a confidential sounding board; an opportunity to pull apart a problem and find a workable solution. Through reflection comes learning and growth. If you are a leader, there is a wonderful opportunity to provide the right level of support for your people.
A recent Harvard Business Review study found that happy employees have;
- On average, 31% higher productivity
- Their sales are 37% higher
- And their creativity is 3x higher
Conversely mentally unwell employees showed significantly;
- Higher levels of sick leave
- Workplace conflict
- And personal grievance
The opportunity to increase workplace well-being while also increasing productivity seems almost too good to be true yet the statistics can be denied. I invited you to find out more today!
Although I normally work privately one to one, I am also available for management team supervision which can be carried out in person, over the phone or via Skype.